Date: Nov. 19, 2011
Contact: Carol Connelly, Director,
Media & Communication Services, ext. 5267, firstname.lastname@example.org
PNC to Host the American Veterans Traveling Tribute
WESTVILLE – Purdue University North Central will host the American Veterans Traveling Tribute (AVTT) on its Westville campus from July 3 through July 7, 2012.
This Traveling Tribute will provide visitors an opportunity to experience an 80-percent scale version of the Vietnam Wall as its cornerstone. Across its 370-foot length, the wall contains all the names etched in the original wall in Washington, D.C. This project pays respect to the men and women who served their country and pays specific tribute to those who gave all in that service: veterans, active military personnel, law enforcement, firefighters, first responders and those lost protecting us from terrorist attacks.
“It is a tremendous honor to have the opportunity to host the American Veterans Traveling Tribute on our campus,” said PNC Chancellor Dr. James B. Dworkin. “We know that many people have not had the opportunity to travel to Washington D.C. to view the Vietnam Wall. Bringing the wall to the Purdue North Central campus, gives everyone in our community a chance to see the wall and honor those who have so gallantly served our country.”
PNC will also be the site of other memorials and exhibits including:
• “The Cost of Freedom Memorial” – lists the names of those who gave their lives for freedom since Vietnam, including Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom
• 911 Memorial - a stand-up exhibit with the Twin Towers; each name and his or her location is recorded
• Walk of Heroes - pays tribute and provides education regarding the country's history of conflicts and represents the cost of freedom in lives
• Vietnam Remembered - displays art and original paintings and more for viewing, education and reflection
• World War II - features pictures and information in honor of World War II veterans
• Korean War - information about the men and women who fought the “forgotten war”
• 1980 – 2000 conflicts - details each conflict occurring during this period with a list of casualties
• Police and firefighter displays – a specific tribute to law enforcement and firefighters
Financial donations are needed to help offset the cost of bringing the AVTT Wall to Purdue North Central.
Anyone interested in making a financial contribution, may send a check payable to Purdue Foundation (with AVTT written on the memo line) to Purdue University North Central, Office of Advancement , 1401 S. U.S. 421, Westville, Ind. 46391.
To learn about financial or in-kind donation opportunities contact Melissa Westphal-Benefiel, PNC Grant Writer/Development coordinator, at 785-5200, ext. 5274 or email@example.com .
To learn more about volunteer opportunities contact Liz Bernel, PNC coordinator of Special Events and Marketing, at 785-5200, ext. 5719 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
For further information about the AVTT coming to Purdue North Central visit http://www.pnc.edu/avtt/